7 little facts

2:59 PM


Probably a good week ago now,  I was awarded the Versatile Blogger Award by the very gorgeous Mrs Amber Apple! I'm so sorry it's taken me this long, Amber, and thank you so much :) 


Amber is such a gorgeous girl with an undeniable eye for vintage style. Her blog is one of my favourites to read; I love how her tea-loving, bibliophile, crafty, intensely creative personality entwines itself through each one of her posts. You really get a sense that you know her, and it's such a pleasure to read about her latest projects, culinary delights, or share a walk around her city. I strongly recommend you pay Amber a visit, I'm sure you'll find something you love over there, too!

The Versatile Blogger Award Rules
Acknowledge the person who awarded you, and link back to them in your post.
Share 7 random facts about yourself.
Pass the award on to 7 new found bloggers.
Contact each blogger you want to pass the award on to and let them know you've done so.
Let the giver of the award know you've accepted!

And now for my 7 facts :) 


Fact number 1:
I have always been, and will always be, a very animally person.
When I was younger, I'd often spend more time with my friend's pets than with my friends themselves when I visited their houses. I happily watched documentaries and filled my brain with facts about animals and their habitats, food habits and lives. I think I naturally have an intense curiosity and fascination with the world and the creatures that inhabit it, they are so varied, each so unique! I think it's wondrous.


Since I was very young, I have had a particular affinity with cats, that I can't explain. Perhaps because they are just too darn adorable. This is Charlie, one of the two cats that own my house. I do believe you've met him before :)






Fact number 2:
I may like animals, but I am completely phobic of moths. There is nothing that scares me more. I find it hard to explain; I know it's awfully irrational but when there is a moth in the room I am completely wracked with terror, I get the shakes and I cry and it's almost like a panic attack! Do you want to know something stranger? Butterflies don't bother me at all!!!!! I think they're pretty and I wouldn't mind at all if one were to gently flutter past me. But a moth? ICK. I think it's because they're hairy and they fly fast, irratically and more often that not in my general direction. *shivers*


This has to be perhaps the scariest thing I've ever seen, and it's in AUSTRALIA!!! Thank goodness it's up north in Queensland, FAR away from me.

Fact Number 3:
My family are very nerdy. My mum is a trekky and I was raised on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who. But perhaps most of all, we all go a bit nutty over the Lord of the Rings. I remember mum pointing to her copy on our bookshelf when I was little and telling me, ' You'll love this one when you're older.' And I do!

In 2002, when I was 12,  we went overseas to New Zealand, and as well as seeing lots of the normal touristy sights we went mental over movie sets, locations, props, memorabilia. For example:

This is a photo dad took, after climbing over a fence into someone's private property, because a scene from one of the movies was shot here.

This is my dad and brother in front of the backdrop used for Isengard (Saruman's tower was completely CG).

 
 Here we are at Hobbiton...

 ...Infront of the party tree (which still had streamer's stuck in the branches)

 ...And at Bag End, or what is left of it :)
It was all so fabulous.

Fact Number 4:
I kissed Jordan for the first time on Feb 16th 2007, after a night out at the Moonlight Cinema (We now count this as our anniversary :D). This was after telling him at school that I wasn't sure whether I liked him, and could we perhaps just be friends for a bit? A family holiday away where I missed him every second of every day made me change my mind, and I have never ever looked back. He's my best friend, my soul mate. We are four years and two months down the line, and I want to be with him for the rest of my life. 



Face Number 5:
At the beginning of 2009, in the middle of a routine health checkup, my doctor heard an extra noise against my heartbeat. It was probably nothing, he said, but it concerned him enough to check up on it. Turned out, I had a hole in my heart, between the left and right atriums, that hadn't closed up properly as I grew. If it had been left unchecked until I was pregnant, I might have died giving birth, I was told. In June of that year, I had surgery to fix it, and truly miraculously they were able to do the operation up through the vein in my leg, rather that through open heart surgery (which i had been told, due to the complication of the abnormality was the likelihood, with all its risks and a big ugly scar all the way down my chest). As is stands, I have no scarring, and my heart is now back to normal. I honestly believe that there was no way this could have been resolved without godly intervention, amazing people to support me and lots of prayer.

When I first heard the news of my diagnosis, I sent a message to Jordan, saying 'I have a hole in my heart.' His first message back was ,'I'll fill it for you.' I thought that was sweet :) And then I got another saying, 'Wait, seriously?!' Funny. 



Fact Number 6:
I love to draw. I spent much of my childhood sketching and scribbling, but when I got to art at high school, I got seriously discouraged. I had a teacher or two who believed art was what the artists of the renaissance painted, not what children were producing. Therefore my little cartoons had no interest, no worth, and I stopped drawing. In the last couple of years I've had my own renaissance in the way I view art, illustration and creativity in the world, and I've picked up my pencil again. I want creative expression to be a part of my life. Art adds vitality to any space. It makes things interesting and stimulating. 

I'm re-learning how to draw again. 5 years is a long time to lose, but its ok. I'll get there :)




Most of these are unfinished and in progress. But anyway. 


Fact Number 7:
I have been blonde all my life, except for when i was born; I arrived as a red head!


But it didn't last long. I've been naturally blonde ever since.


Happy Easter, everyone!

Oops. These were more like 7 mini autobiographies than 7 facts. I'm sorry! But I had a lot of fun compiling this :D Just like a walk down memory lane.

And now, I pass the baton to you, If you want it:

I'd love to hear your answers!
Have a blessed weekend x


You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. OOOH YAY! I usually dont do these things but after reading yours Im totally inspired ! It might take me a while but I will get there! Thanks for tagging me! After reading your fear of moths, I can already predict I will post my fear of lizzards. It honestly makes my heart stop for a second if I see one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lovely, congratulations! and yes I'll have to check out ambers blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I loved Jordan's comment to you about your hole :) It WAS sweet!
    And I have to admit, I dislike moths too. And most bugs actually...

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww I love all the photos of you with animals. I love animals too. I adore the old photos of you. You were so adorable. That's horrible about your heart but I am so glad that they found out about it. I can't believe you've been to Hobbiton. That's awesome. Love all your drawings and I had so much fun learning about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks Erin! You are so sweet! I almost cried!

    I love animals too! Its so awesome that you've had all those opportunities to be that close! Over here, at least on the east coast, they're really strited at the zoo :-(

    I totally know how you feel about moths. They creep me out too... But so do butterflies. Most of all, I am terrified of spiders.

    I am a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan! I'm re reading the books! I started yesterday! It's so awesome you got to visit hobbiton! Too bad all the stuff isnt still there!

    You and Jordan are so cute! I love it.
    I'm so happy you are alright! I bet that was very scary! I'm so thankful that God healed you :-) --I noticed you have a couch in your hospital room?! That's awesome! The US has awkward fluffy plastic chairs...

    You have an amazing talent with drawing! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jealouse you visited hobbiton! I too am an absolute Lord of the Rings obsessive, I love having weekends to myself to just watch the extended versions in all their glory.
    You're amazing at drawing, definitely get back into it! It's a talent you should deffinitely keep!
    Thanks for tagging me in this post, I was so shocked to see my little blog! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ho thank you very much for tagging me! I will surely try to share those 7 facts, even if I'm not very generous in writing in my blog!;)
    ps: it's funny I noticed the same thing as Mrs Amber; the couch in your hospital room!...very cosy!lol
    ps2: I really like your drawings, you should definitely hang on developping that talent! If you're looking for inspiration you should browse Mali Siri's blog; her work is amazing!
    (http://pinup-doodles.blogspot.com/2008/05/heres-shop.html)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww that comment about filling the hole in your heart was so sweet. Those Hobbititon photo's made me laugh. Lovely post (-:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these things, I am about to do my own!
    You & your nerdy family are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for your lovely comments everyone!
    Hannah: I know someone else who is afraid of lizards too! I think its because they move fast and are unpredictable. In Bali and in Thailand (particularly on Koh Samui) there are little skinks that wander all over the walls of shops, inside restaurants, they are everywhere! It would be frightening if you were afraid of them :S

    Caitlin Rose: Thankyou :)

    Spineretta: Haha I know, it made me smile, and i was feeling so very scared at that point.

    Victoria: Thankyou, I'm also glad they found it before it was any worse. That doctor is now held in the highest esteem by me and my family. Thanks for your kind comments!

    Amber: I love opportunities to hold animals, though here at the zoos they are strict too. Most of those pictures are from overseas :) When i was younger i went to an agricultural school, it had a farm attached and i got to go riding, and herd sheep and look after little piglets. They also had a nocturnal house where you could go at lunch times, and little wallabies and pottaroos and bandicoots would run all over you! There was also a wombat burrow with a glass side, and a tunnel alongside which you could crawl into and there would be this little chamber to sit in and watch the wombats. That was my favourite place ever. Sad i didn't last at that school, but it was awfully clique-y and if I hadn't have left i wouldnt have me jordan or so many other lovely people.
    My mum is terrified of spiders, way worse than anyone I've seen. We have huge ones in our front yard, I think the summer was just the right temperature for them, so they're hanging around. I don't mind them as long as the keep well away from me :)
    I loved being in hobbiton but it really is so sad that it almost all got stripped away! Originally the farmer whose land it was agreed to the use only if all traces of their presence were removed, but then once they discovered how wonderful a tourist attraction it would be it took ages to get permission through, and thats why its stripped bare. I wonder whether they're using it again for the hobbit? Maybe they could rejuvenate it?
    Haha the couch! That was the night i was admitted to hospital, the night before my operation, and the only room they had left was the 'presidential suite!' (or so the nurses called it, it's mainly reserved for member of parliament or important people). It was about twice as big as what you see in the photo, it was crazy! Afterwards i was moved to a normal plasticky little one. But it was fun for a bit :)

    Claire Eloise: I love the extended editions so much! We have them all, its so fun watching the extra footage, then the commentaries, then the behind the scenes. Adds so much to the depth of the story, and fuels my geeky knowledge. I love them. They are hard to watch in one sitting though- each is 4hours or so long! Thankyou for encouraging my drawing :)

    Lexy: I know Maly Siri's work, its so incredibly inspiring! I'd love to be able to draw like that! Thanks for being so lovely :)

    Feeona: Thankyou! They make me laugh too, we were just so fascinated with everything!!!! I have some photos that i took of random hills, or patches of rocky ground that i can't remember the significance of at all :)

    Always Chasing: Thanks :) I can't wait to see yours!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, the first fact in my "15 things" post was about cats too! I love them so much, and I use to do cat sitting during summertime too :)
    I would be so excited to pet a tiger, your picture is incredible!
    Loved this post, you are truly sweet Erin!
    Ale
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really sorry, I hadn't seen this until now! I shall happily catch the baton and come up with some answers!

    I enjoyed getting to know you more and I love the fact that your family is 'nerdy' as you put it, i'm jealous you got to visit where the LOTR movie was set!

    I'm glad the doctors were able to do something about your heart and that your in a happy relationship.

    Your drawings are fabulous, my favourite is the burlesque lady. The pictures from your childhood are adorable too.

    I will return the favour and hopefully come up with some good answers! Thanks for choosing me =)


    Leanne

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images